Monday, July 26, 2010

only 4 more days!!... =/

So to catch everyone up a little bit for the past two days, On Saturday we went to Negril. It probably took us about 45 min -1 hr to get there and our first destination was to the Jimmy Buffet: Margaritaville. We were all excited at first to be going to the resort and getting that "taste of heaven" for a few hours but what most of us soon realized is how out of place we all actually felt! It was nice to see some "whities" but they seemed more like imposers than anything. Because we have experienced the "real" Jamaica and have gotten to know the beautiful people and have learned as much from their culture as we can, it almost felt wrong to be there. These tourists parade around like they own the place and they have no idea! I had very mixed emotions about it. I didn't know what to do with myself when I first got there. On the upside, the water is absolutely gorgeous. Crystal clear, blue water with the white sand that you dream about.

They also had 2 water trampolines that were pretty awesome! Haha so Alex tried to jump from 1 trampoline to the other and if you watch the show "wipeout" you can only imagine what it would've looked like. Let's just say that I replayed it in my head about 100 times! =)

After the beach we went to Rick's Cafe where we did the cliff jumping! Now imagine this: there's a beautiful view of the water and of the cliffs where the sun is settling just right. And then off in the distance you can hear and see screaming little figures jumping to there death from about 200 feet. LOl just kidding! But the 200 ft is right. A few of us ventured our way to the top through the crowds of people with pride. Jackie was brave and decided to go 1st. Then Melissa who made a splash haha, and then my turn came. I didn't realize how high and terrifying it was until I looked down! There was a guy standing there directing the jumpers and he was "1...2...3... jump!" I just went and let me tell you..it was the most amazing, biggest adrenaline rush I have ever felt in my life! If you've ever been to Kennywood park and rode the ride the "Pitfall", well it kind of feels like that, only multiplied.. but it was so amazing that I jumped twice! =)

Snce we were all starving after the jump, half of us went for jerk chicken and to KFC, and the other half of us paid a visit to the KING =) that little taste of burger and french fry heaven tickled me to death.
Overall, it was a pretty amazing day!


Yesterday (Sunday)
We went to an Assembly of God and it was warm as usually but we are in Jamaica so that's expected. The service was VERY long..longer than I'm used to.( Around 2 -2 1/2 hrs) The choir was very upbeat and at one point put on a cute dancing skit thing for us. It was enjoyable! There was a young male and female singer who both sang solos and they sand so beautifully, especially the young woman!

Children dressed in white also came out and signed to a dance which was also very moving..it was so beautiful I wanted to cry! The way the kids were able to get so into the feeling of the music and to "feel" something is just...breathtakingly beautiful.
We drove to the airport to pick up the high school aged group of quakers. The age group ranges from 15-17 and they're shy and quite but so were we when we first arrived. It's a new experience and a completely different world so time to adjust is perfectly normal. We drove to the AOC center where they had a welcoming dinner waiting for them as they did with us. We didn't really have a lot of time to talk to some of them. That's what the week is for. I think they felt welcomed for the most part..I hope so!

I wrote a lot so far and I hope it didn't bore you too too much! lol.

On a more serious note, being here is the best thing I could've done for myself. I feel myself changing for the better and I'm so moved and touched with what I've seen and learned. I hope that I am able to take home with me the gift of a new outlook on life that I have learned while being here. As happy as I am to be going home and seeing my family, I'm going to miss it here very much...I'm trying not to think about what I'm going to feel on friday when I say my goodbyes... =(

Michelle English

No comments:

Post a Comment