Thursday, July 22, 2010

More than halfway

Today is our 12th day in Jamaica...this means we are more than halfway through the trip. Last night for dinner we went to Savannah-La-Mar for dinner. We first went to a pizza place and then to Burger King. It was nice to have a taste of home. After dinner we went to the pier to see the ocean. It takes my breath away every time I see the clear blue water stretch out in front of me. Many of us are longing for home in different ways (friends, family, food, hot water, air conditioning), but we are also are feeling a twinge of sadness at the thought of leaving Jamaica. We have build incredible relationships here that bridge any differences in culture there may be. The remarkable similarities are telling of the humanity in all of us. We all love our families, value our communities, and want what is best for those we love.

I have learned of a selflessness here I hope to bring home and share with others. I have seen people with very little share with us even when it would mean they would go without. I am learning what it means to have enough...to have only what I need. I'm used to living in the abundance of choices the United States offers to me and yet, I am learning to be grateful for my plate of rice and chicken every night for dinner. There is great happiness here. I have learned the value of "living simply, so that others can simply live". This is the lesson of Jamaica for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment